The fifth tour of active duty for the Regiment in a 52 year period began in September 1950 when the Regiment was called to active duty during the Korean emergency. After a year of intensive training at Camp Atterbury, Indiana and on the Southern Pines Maneuver the Regiment sailed for Germany, landing in Bremer Haven in November 1951. Taken its station in Ulm and New Ulm, the 110th became part of the NATO force which trained intensively to ensure security of Western Europe and the World.
In June 1953 the 110th was being reorganized in Western Pennsylvania, while the colors were still in German soil. In 1954, the first annual training camp since reorganizing after the Korean emergency, the Regimental colors were returned to Pennsylvania.
In April 1968 the 110th Infantry, now a Battalion was reorganized and placed in the 56th Brigade, made up of Pennsylvania units and assigned to the 42nd Infantry Division, New York National Guard. In December of 1971 the unit was reorganized and redesignated the 1-110th Infantry with Headquarters in Scottdale, Pennsylvania and assigned to the 28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania National Guard. In September of 1995 the 1-110th was reorganized and redesignated the 1-110th Mechanized Infantry Battalion in the 28th Infantry Division Mechanized). The units are presently located as follows: HHC in Scottdale, Co. A in Finleysville, Co. B in Greensburg, Co. C in Waynesburg, Co. D in Indiana and Co. E in Canonsburg. The above history highlights mainly the active federal service of the 110th Infantry. It must be remembered that federal service makes up less than nine years of the 100 years total service. Interspersed among these calls to active duty are many years of hard work and training by dedicated citizen soldiers to insure the Battalion is ready to answer any emergency. Foremost among the state emergencies were the Johnstown Flood of 1936, the Civil Disturbances in Pittsburgh, Pa. In April 1968 and Hurricane Agnes in June 1972.
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 5/32inches in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Tierced per fess Gules, Argent and Azure.
A Spanish castle, a Palm Tree Vert between two mullets of the first. Six fleurs-de-lis, three, two and one, of the fourth.
The castle represents the engagement at Manila during the Spanish-Americab War. The red background and the gold charge are in the Spanish Colors.
The palm tree is for service ine the Philippine Insurrection and the two mullets the engagement at Manila and Malolos.
The five pointed stars appear upon the Philippine flag.
The six fleurs-de-lis symbolize the battle honors won during WWI.
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 13 May 1927.
Monument 110th Infantry Regiment at Boalsburg, PA, USA